coreutils su

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 15:09:35 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:56:13PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Having two packages install the same file is not good for accounting.
> Neither is moving them. It's unsanitary and gets flagged at an audit.

I said I agreed. The problem is that of a starting point. I see no
reason to rebuild chapter 5 as the standard chapter 5 will give us the
tools we need to then build chapter 6 with the patches. The main reason
for wanting to start with at least a chapter 5 vanilla LFS is that we
don't have to account for the possible brokenness of the host. I say we
should depend heavily on the fact that Greg and Ryan have provided us a
method to produce a trustworthy toolchain. IMO, *that* should be the
toolchain we then proceed from to build a propolice enabled toolchain.
The power of being able to make such an assumption as what the host is
is immense and we should be too quick to throw that away.

--
Archaic

A ``decay in the social contract'' is detectable; there is a growing
feeling, particularly among middle-income taxpayers, that they are not
getting back, from society and government, their money's worth for taxes
paid. The tendency is for taxpayers to try to take more control of their
finances ..

- IRS Strategic Plan, (May 1984)