Book design

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jan 18 11:14:36 PST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Robert Connolly wrote:

> The LFS books only have 2 depths. I'm trying to think of how hlfs could be
> written, so if someone doesn't want to use some aspect, they dont have to
> read about it. What kind of document formats would accept user input to
> create a book after reading threw introductions? Like checkbox's for Pam, or
> ProPolice, or OpenSSL, a submit button, and a new depth with relevent steps.
> I can picture it in html. In a real book it would work with color coded
> highlighting.

Sounds like something for the new XML versions of the books (Matt is
working on an initial LFS proof-of-concept at the moment), perhaps in
the stylesheets area.  There have been previous threads on -dev where
the idea of platform-specific versions of the book (by check boxes in
html forms) were suggested as a possibility when the new XML was
working.  I don't think that a front-end which selects which sections to
include will have much, if any, influence on the construction of those
sections.

For the moment, remember how BLFS used to be - lots of sections, but
when you got to them they were just placemarkers.  If you assume the
typical reader is using a modern browser, as long as the table of
contents is correct they can home in on the areas they want to read
about.  And if doing foo is recommended before you do bar, put it in as
a recommendation or option the way BLFS does.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!