RSBAC Grsec Selinux ProPolice and Pax

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 10:16:04 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> > Why should someone have more than one daemon in a chroot? That rather
> > defeats the purpose of allowing the daemon to see only what it needs.
>
> Why not?

Because under under the worst cirsumstances, only the service itself
would be at risk. If someone figures out how to run code with escalated
privs, then all services could be in danger. If however, the service
could only see its self, even with UID 0, then only that service would
be vulnerable to attack. Ryan and I have all but finished the POC using
proftpd as the example. Proftpd would never, under any circumstance I
can fathom, be able to affect files belonging to httpd, etc, because
they live in separate chroots.

--
Archaic

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one
tenth part.

- Benjamin Franklin