Roadmap

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 10 13:21:40 PST 2004

On January 10, 2004 03:40 pm, Amanda Lynn Rossmiller wrote:
> > does anyone have strong opinions about RSBAC vs Selinux? The two
> > major problems with Selinux that I'm aware of is the role based access
> > control is under patent by a private US company, and Selinux is based on
> > obsolete 20 year old standards.
>
> don't know a thing about it,
> but it sounds good to me,... patents are evil.
>
> hopefully it's better documented too??

It'd be best to make hints for both. So far the selinux patches for linux and
coreutils dont work for LFS, they depend on other patches in the srpm made
for redhat. Gentoo doesn't apear to have a selinux backport for
coreutils-5.0, so now I'm looking for other selinux vendors to find patches
that work, and figure out why the ones from the nsa don't work. I booted
RSBAC yesterday and got X working for my normal user (in soft mode), it
doesn't need userland patches, but I couldn't find any easy to use docs on
setting it up properly. The help on rsbac.org is more confusing then it needs
to be. The patent issue doesn't have anything to do with security, and as
long as its opensource it doesn't restrict educational value. RSBAC is easier
to drop on an existing system, but its less secure then selinux, at least
from what I gather so far.