Security criteria

Robert Day zarin at dscn.net
Tue Jan 6 03:39:25 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 22:50, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Robert Day wrote:
>
> > Another interesting idea is to look at such concepts as smart card
> >
> >authentication. Cards like the Bell QuickChange cards, the Sattelite
> >dish cards, etc. all can store authentication information.  I know it's
> >a hardware thing, but might be worth at lest a mention ;)
> >

> I personally would be glad to see HLFS as a system/distro/$whatever
> running out-of-the-box on a normal computer without needing some
>  special hardware such as cf-cards etc.
>
> Additional hardware-tricks and security enhancements like these cf-cards
> for authentifications should be realised as hlfs-hints imho.

Nah - the How to do it, not gonna be heavy in the book - I was thinking
jsut a blurb like "For extreme security, passwords are just not enough.
You need some physical form of authentication. Retinal Scanners are just
a bit out of the question, but SmartMedia cards are becoming affordable
for serious servers, and even the serious home user. This book is not
going to go into details about physical based security, but it is not
difficult to add this authentication methed later on, should you decide
it is right for your security needs."

  Rob Day (BOFH)