Security criteria

Spencer Collyer spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 6 01:31:22 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:05:16 -0700, ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:27:35AM +1100, Thomas Sutton
> (thsutton at utas.edu.au) wrote:
> > You'd also need to include the dead and pretend languages that people
> > are likely to use.
>
> There is a repository of word lists at Cambridge as I recall.  I
> downloaded them a couple years back so I don't remember off the top
> of my head.  I'm sure some google will do the trick.

One obvious resource is to use the dictionaries available for the various
free or open-source spell checkers, like Ispell and Aspell. There are a
bunch of dictionaries for the Aspell package at
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/, and for Ispell at
http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell-dictionaries.html. There are
almost certainly other locations with different lists as well.

Although they are not strictly word-lists, with a bit of work it should be
possible to create word-lists from them - even if we have to work out from
the source how the program(s) extract words from their dictionaries.

Just a thought.

--
<<< Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines >>>
9:24am up 25 days 15:47, 13 users, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.34