roadmap

ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Jan 5 09:25:37 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:02:31AM +0000, Declan Moriarty (declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie) wrote:
> As you cannot rely on everybody having an old box lying there to use as
> a firewall, how about local firewall implementation as well as a remote
> one (for those whose last box still boots).

I recently bought two used computer that had been serviced (i.e. cleaned
and tested) for $85 each.  These are P-II 350MHz machines.

One is now a test/build box for an older version of Slackware that I need
to support.  The other is a node in a Snort monitoring system.

The point is that entry to having the needed hardware is getting lower all
the time.

Still, you make a good point.  The best I've seen for addressing this is
to use an "n-tier" model.
--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations