propolice

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Fri Jan 2 21:32:12 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:17:27AM -0500, ashes wrote:

> If you want propolice on glibc, you need propolice in chapter 5.

Following the logic in pureLFS, if we have just built a full LFS, we
should be able to start by patching and building gcc, and use that gcc
to build binutils, then glibc. As your patches stand now, will gcc have
to be rebuilt again _after_ glibc is rebuilt (like is done in chapter6),
or are we not patching glibc with propolice anymore. And if we are, will
the patched glibc build gcc differently considering it has it's own
propolice patches? Have I confused anyone, yet? ;)

> There might be reasons to adjust the build proccess too. We shouldn't
> be worried about saving people's time. If they want a quick install,
> get a binary distro.

I'm with you all the way.

> I'm not saying we should build glibc 6 times, but it might make sence
> to do make bootstrap in gcc pass one and two, where pass two has the
> propolice patch.  Propolice in gcc will produce different results,
> which LFS's build proccess doesn't account for.

I'll hold off thinking about this until I know whether or not glibc is
still being patched. If not, I believe we can start with an extra gcc
(patched) and binutils before glibc then continuing along like chapter6.

--
Archaic

"America is at that awkward stage.  It's too late to work within the
system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

- Claire Wolfe