encrypted root filesystem

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Feb 24 08:27:12 PST 2004

2004-02-24T10:57:52 Ian Molton:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:28:02 +0000 (UTC)
> Christophe Devine <devine at iie.cnam.fr> wrote:
> >  there simply isn't enough computing power in the
> > whole universe to crack an AES-128 key by brute force.
>
> An impressive boast ;-)

Believed true by professional cryptanalysts today. The above boast
is a nice way of describing one of the gating criteria that had to
be passed (to the best belief of all the cryptanalysts participating
in the selection process) to even be a candidate for AES. All the
finalists cleared that handily; the final bake-off ended up focusing
on the ease of producing compact and/or fast implmenetations in
hardware and software.

> I guess we'll need to be cleverer than brute force ;-)

By all means, do so. If you pull it off for AES, you will
immediately leap to the fore of the worlds cryptanalysts. No smiley.

-Bennett