netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Feb 24 07:34:29 PST 2004

2004-02-24T09:47:04 Ian Molton:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:21:36 -0500
> Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:
> > If you've got enough RAM to spare, you can run entirely off an
> > initrd, and have it use hdparm to spin down the hard drive once it's
> > loaded.
>
> I dont see why an initrd is needed.

It's not; your approach can work. I think an initrd is simpler; once
it's loaded and running, nothing is referencing the hard drive. But
if you can hunt down each and everything that ever tries to write to
the hard drive, or read stuff from it sufficiently intermittently to
dodge the buffer cache (e.g. rarely-consulted config files), then
your approach can work too.

-Bennett