netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Feb 23 14:35:54 PST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:56:36 -0600
Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:

> Filesystem mounts are system wide.  See my other comment about clearing
> out the dross in /var/log and /tmp from the result.

Thought as much.

Got a link to some more info? This method may *greatly* simplify my goal of having a server with a mostly-always-spun-down harddisc.

my current thought is to:

a) Disable / reduce anything that produces copious amounts of logs
b) seek and destroy all programs that like to write crap for no good reason
c) set spindown time to an hour (perhaps 2)
d) union mount a USB key (NAND flash) ontop of /

then wait for all the useful data to get read into the RAM buffers and the HDD spins down. bingo.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.