netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Feb 23 14:00:47 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 22:13, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Chattr would work but its slow and not portable. Maybe acls would be best.
> Regardless who owns the finished system its still better to run make as user
> lfs, but without a sudo system thats hard to manage.

This is one of the problems that I am loathe to admit using rpm to build
packages solves.  Rpm is the one package manager (except Solaris' and
Slackware's with extra work in the post-install script) that allows you
to build files as one user, and then assign them a completely different
ownership for the file to be installed as.  Using rpm as a regular user
to build a package is probably the easiest way to spot these issues, and
it brings along with it inventory management and some measure of binary
transportability and the ability to roll-back changes (something
Solaris' package manager can also do).
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org