netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Sun Feb 22 16:50:35 PST 2004

On February 22, 2004 07:25 pm, Archaic wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:36:37AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:
> > Its about keeping packages from overwritting eachothers files on make
> > install.  We already know gcc and binutils, and coreutils and shadow
> > install files with the same name. These can be patched but with new
> > packages its not easy to know this untill its too late.
>
> I'm still questioning if my understanding of this is correct. Because
> what I see in the above doesn't seem valid. If user lfs has the ability
> to install files then user lfs can overwrite those files. What are you
> proposing exactly?

I dont want coreutils su to overwrite shadow su, in the event coreutils gets
reinstalled. But not just coreutils, anything. It should give a permission
denied, or like 'cp -i', if make install tries to copy to a file that already
exists. This isn't on my todo list yet. It might be a while before I try to
put this into practice.