PIE and gcc2

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 21:08:31 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:00:47PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> gcc2 is the only thing left that won't be PIE. What do you guys think
> about ditching gcc2?

It's getting to the end of it's usefulness. GCC-3 had been out for how
long now? I've not had any problems for a long while with 3.3.1/3.3.2,
so unless 3.3.3 is b0rked, I think it's time to switch.

But one question first... does ssp/pie work on anything besides x86? The
reason I ask is because gcc-2.95 was left around mainly for ppc guys. If
the toolchain will work with ppc, then we should see if ppc guys can
build kernels w/ 3.3.3 first. If the toolchain is x86 specific, I say
dump 2.95.3.

--
Archaic

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood.  The
person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to
the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that
person's liberty.  Are you free?

- Andrew Ford