netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Feb 21 11:47:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 20:34, ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:05:28PM -0500, Archaic (archaic at indy.rr.com) wrote:
> > Yeah, Robert was hoping for just such a thing as well so nothing (in the
> > initial building of the system) ever gets overwritten byu another
> > package and for zero fragmentation. It would obviously be a lot easier
> > if everything recognized DESTDIR...
>
> Those who have used Slackware will recognize that lament.  There are two
> main methods of handling packages which do not support DESDIR:
>
> 1) Edit the makefile to support it
> 2) maintain a manifest of files

There's a third now, thanks to union mounts.  Slap a large enough union
mounted filesystem over / like some whopping great sheet of plastic,
install the package, then peel it off by umounting / and remounting it
somewhere else to see what you're looking at (after you delete all the
junk in it's /tmp and /var/log).
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org