netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 20:36:53 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:07:44PM +0800, Andrew Calkin wrote:

> Anyone considered the option of instructions to put all compilation
> tools on, e.g. a cdrom, which can be mounted for compilation when
> needed (with modification of the path), and left inaccessible t

I considered it long enough to realize instructions to do that are a
waste of time and book space. It caters to only have the equation (home
users). Instead, *if* we chose one solution, mine would be an excrypted
filesystem for a couple of reasons. 1) Teaching someone to burn a CD is
not in our scope 2) Teaching how to create and utilize an excrypted
filesystem would be and 3) Physical access cannot be assumed

ISTM that the easiest way to satisfy all parties with the fewest
instructions would be to install all relevant tools like the compiler
and headers in a separate tree like /opt/devtools or something like
that. Then we could either put that in the path, or make some symlinks.
Then the user can easily a) leave it as is b) mount an encrypted fs at
/opt/devtools or c) mount an extfs CD at /opt/devtools. That seems to be
the easiest to me to satisfy most people's needs.

--
Archaic

I recall the *first* time I read through the docs. The pain was
immediate, intense and interminable!