netfilter firewalling problems and solutions

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 19:04:07 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:17:04AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:

> What is this book about? turning a LFS system into a production box,
> or teaching people how to build a generally secure box for themselves?
>
> I'd like a 'hardened' box for my personal use, not just a server.

As shocked as I am to hear myself say this.... Ian's hit the nail on
the head. While we are covering basic admin practices, the book idn't
meant for just prod. servers. If it were, we could cut out a bunch of
cruft that will eventually be included (like X). We are building a
Hardened LFS. And since it is an LFS, that means a development system.
If one chooses to use that as the springboard by which to build and
package and deploy to multiple systems, so be it. Some just want a more
secure workstation.

j/k about the shock, Ian, it's more like terror! ;)

--
Archaic

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood.  The
person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to
the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that
person's liberty.  Are you free?

- Andrew Ford