Login functionality

Harley J Pig harleypig at harleypig.com
Wed Feb 18 21:27:16 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:24:36PM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> > If it's a successful login, don't log the password;
> > otherwise log the attempted login name and password.
>
> oops, I typed my password into the login name box... now its in the
> logs for all to read...

Yeah, I saw that in another part of the thread.  I was about to concede
the point when someone else, I don't remember who at the moment,
suggested logging the name only when it matched the passwd file.

I dunno ... I'm new to the security side of things.  How else can we
detect attempted break-ins though?

Alan