Login functionality

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Feb 18 10:48:30 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 08:22, Harley J Pig wrote:
> I know I'm a complete unknown, but why not do the following:
>
> If it's a successful login, don't log the password;
> otherwise log the attempted login name and password.

You might want to re-read the thread.  The current behaviour LFS (before
PAM) has is to log the username upon successful or failed logins if it
matches an actual username on the system.  If the username doesn't
appear to be one valid for the system, then it merely logs "UNKNOWN" as
the username on the chance that the user accidentally typed-ahead and
put their password into the username entry.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org