Login functionality

Charles Winebrinner cwinebrinner at lmtc.net
Tue Feb 17 22:50:22 PST 2004

Hello, this is my first time posting to this list, though I have been
reading it for a while.

IMO, I think it depends on the system and what the system is going to
be used for.  If it's a single user system or one with a close-knit
group of users, I think the logging of the failed usernames would be
great. But, for instance, if it's a system with a lot of users and someone
somehow gains access to the log, then that could be a major problem,
because there are a lot of people that use the same password for everything.
If the hacker can associate their usernames on the machine to external
accounts, then he will have complete access to all of their other accounts.

It sounds kind of risky for your users and for their sake, I do not think
I would log such access attempts.

BTW, sorry if this message isn't formatted properly.  I manually wrapped
the text, because I am using Outlook to send this.  I am in the process
or re-installing linux to my desktop after the HD went bad.  Still have
several servers running LFS tho...