Login functionality

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 10:48:48 PST 2004

Dagmar's last post about reading logs tripped my memory for a feature
that I think would be really useful; logging the misspelled username in
a bad login. IOW words, log lines like the following are near worthless

Feb 17 13:48:31 robson login[98]: invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `tty4'

If someone was trying to guess a username we could spot it easier if
UNKNOWN was changed to the actual typed name. We could also
differentiate someone just missing a letter from their username.

Has anyone seen a patch like this for login?

--
Archaic

Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.

- H.L. Mencken