hgcc, etc

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 10:42:06 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:10:09PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> While iptables is being worked on I'll try to start organizing the first book
> with the toolchain stuff, and it can be added to after. It wouldn't be too
> difficult to add Pam/cracklib at this stage unless anyone objects, or thinks
> it should stay in blfs. Shadow can take advantage of this.

I've no feelings one way or the other about the technical merit of PAM.
At this stage. If it's nearly a drop in, we might as well add it now,
unless people have arguments as to it's technical merit.

> Is iptables a blfs thing or will it be in the base? I feel iptables should be
> installed with nettools. If iptables is blfs, so should nettools. If they're
> both in the base thats fine with me, but I sorta feel networking should get
> its own chapter, which can deal with iptables, openssl, ipsec, snort, etc.

We can at least install it now, along with some vague docs that can be
used as placeholders for the more in depth stuff later. Since this book
is still very much in pre-alpha condition, the more robust our base is,
the more chance we have of testing our toolchain (i.e. we're building
more packages). People should not expect a finished product, nor should
we be striving for that just yet. It's a puzzle, and the sooner we start
putting the pieces in that we know will eventually be in, the sooner our
picture will come about. That said, though, we shouldn't get too extreme
in our addition of packages yet so as to not spend enough time testing
the individual, smaller stuff.

Robert, if you'd like, just send me a textfile (or textfiles) of the
instructions and data you want to write, and I will start putting it
into xml and generate the HTML from that. I think that will help in the
long run to keep things extensible.

--
Archaic

It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men
of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be
read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be
repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such
incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can
guess what it will be to-morrow. Law is defined to be a rule of action;
but how can that be a rule, which is little known, and less fixed?

- James Madison, Federalist Papers 62