Iptables initialization

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 09:29:45 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:20:01PM +0200, Tarek W. wrote:

> 2) on the lan side, where data transfers reach higher speeds it would
> be pretty easy to cut down on the number of rules.

Egress filtering is as important as ingress filtering. Especially if a
windows box exists on your network, or a person comes along and plugs in
to your network. Granted, if people can just plug in without anyone
noticing, that problem must be taken care of, but I would imagine it's
more likely than people admit, just because we don't here about it a
whole lot.

> now, nobody mentioned stateful firewalling

I would hope that is because we know enough here to universally assume
that one would be doing that. It's rather ubiquitous to iptables.

--
Archaic

Love your country, but never trust its government.

- Robert A. Heinlein.