Iptables initialization

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 12:57:57 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:08:40PM -0500, Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> As a point of curiosity for me, I have been interested in learning some
> of the aspects of the overhead associated with filtering (effectively)
> for security purposes. Haven't done any research yet, but if you know of
> some docs that address issues such as increased latency, propagation
> delays, effects on overall throughput, I would be interested. Or if you
> happen to gather these metrics during your rework, that would be useful.

Can't give any quick links, just an anecdotal. I used a 486SX/33 with
4MB of ram on a cable connection with no noticeable degradation. I was
still averaging 240Kbps before and after the firewall was put up. This
was on a 256Kbps (theoretical) connection. Upload also chugged along
around 120Kbps, same as before. Personally, I would have to see
degradation to believe it since I've personally seen the lack thereof.

--
Archaic

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression: for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent
that will reach unto himself.

- Thomas Paine