readahead in /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Wed Feb 11 18:58:22 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
>After building 5.1-pre1 with the latest glibc and Ryan's patch to
>revert things, I'm doing my usual build of console tools in chroot
>(I
>_really_ don't like being without my usual toolkit and toys when I
>first
>boot).
>
>Hdparm (both 5.4 and the later 5.5) are falling over with a symbol
>being redefined - there is a readahead variable in the program, and
>now
>at the end of /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h there's 'extern ssize_t
>readahead' - some sort of hint to the kernel, apparently.
>
>This is my first time with glibc-2.3.3, but some people here have
>been
>using it for a few weeks - do you have this symbol, or has it only
>just
>appeared ?

Appeared sometime between the 17th Jan 18:45 UTC and
24th Jan 08:40 UTC

>The obvious fix for hdparm is to rename its variable to something
>else,
>which I'm sure won't please the maintainer (he has a set of three
>related variables for handling the readahead setting), so I'd like to
>be
>a bit clearer where this is coming from before I contact him.

Looks like its a problem for the hdparm maintainer...

Anyway, a patch which reverts the glibc changes,
though this probably may not be the way to go...
(also contains the patch I sent the other day, renamed)
Should really get these up under my home directory...

This will depend on how much other stuff apart from hdparm breaks

At the least it shows you what got changed ;-)

I'd notify the hdparm maintainer that it is barfing with latest
CVS glibc's regardless... he'll have to fix it at some point

Do you happen to have the build logs where it barfed?

Specifically want to see where the original definition came from,
and in which section of hdparm...
If you could mail that section I may be able to come up with a patch
for hdparm instead.

Regards
 Ryan
(See attached file:
glibc-2.3.3-lfs-revert_readahead_h_and_prototype_in_bits_fcntl_h.patch.bz2)
(See attached file:
glibc-2.3.3-lfs-revert_2_3_4_symbols_in_alpha_ppc.patch.bz2)