pie-ssp working group

Ned Ludd solar at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 7 09:02:38 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 07:17, Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 03:52:03AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:
> >
> > I still need to test the my new pie patch by building a base with it but I
> > expect good results. And it will only work on x86. Porting it to other
> > platforms should not be a problem with a bit of testing.
>
> Are redhat, adamantix, and gentoo working on any other arches? Perhaps,
> when the time comes we can cobble some of their patches together. I
> don't have anything to test, though, so we would need to get some people
> to volunteer. I'm current looking at the x86_64, so if I can scrape a
> few extra dollars up, hopefully by summer I will have one... *drool*

The x86_64/amd64 is a one of the best arches to take advantage of this
setup in fact because it does not incur the overhead from PIC that x86
suffers from due to it's sweet relative addressing mode.

I've verified -pie -fPIE -fPIC -fforce-addr -fstack-protector-all on it
but have yet to do a full compile.

The AA-64 architecture general purpose registers can be found at
http://sandpile.org/aa64/reg.htm

--
Ned Ludd <solar at gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux Developer