winter.txt

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 4 03:39:01 PST 2004

On February 4, 2004 06:10 am, Archaic wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:46:56PM +1100, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> > 16th Jan.
> >
> > That's for base LFS, you guys'll probably have to live on the bleeding
> > edge of glibc cvs if building with gcc-3.4
> > (I'm still waiting on the --start-only-if-used/--end-only-if-used
> > stuff to go into binutils before I go back to 3.4,
> > cancellation issues building glibc+nptl w 3.4 ...)
> >
> > For the relro stuff however you can track changes to elf/dl-reloc.c
>
> <..>
>
> > (you'll probably also want to track changes to elf/rtld.c)
>
> We aren't using gcc-3.4, but if the only changes that apply are the
> above mentioned dl-reloc.c and rtlf.c, it would be easier if we stuck to
> the version of glibc that the LFS book uses and just apply a patch to
> update those two files.

I took a good look at the gcc-pie patch this morning. It simply adds support
to gcc for pic w/ ld's -pie. So the relocation can be controled by the exe
instead of the lib. The actual code is minimal and basicly represents an
alias for pic. I wouldn't call it stable, but I wouldn't call it experimental
either.