winter.txt

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 3 21:20:44 PST 2004

> Have you seen any signs of a release date for FSF? or fixes for the
> sanity code being implemented? As far as HLFS and LFS goes, I'm really
> starting to favor HJL.

I have no idea when binutils-2.15 will be out.

> With that said, can anyone provide a valid reason why HJL should *not*
> be used here or in LFS?

I think it would be best to use fsf binutils-2.15 when its out, instead of
hjl. The security should be the same. If hlfs will work with fsf binutils
then hjl will always be an option, but not always vise versa.

> Huh? I can understand if the mandrake patch is the same as the one in
> the patches section (minus the LFS-type header), but what's the diff
> between the pie-1 and pie-2 patches you've created?

Oops, fixed it. The difference between -1 and -2 is -2 will patch on both
gcc-3.3.1 and 3.3.2. pie-1 was for gcc-3.3.1, I changed it for 3.3.2, and
mandrake fixed it to work on both, so I preffer their changes.

> What's your take on grsec vs selinux With grsec's other functionality
> being used, are you also leaning towards it's access controls or is
> selinux more favorable?

I don't want to favor either. I put selinux down for a while because porting
it to gnu vanilla was getting difficult, I'm just taking a break from it.