Regex help needed (Was Re: et_dyn -fpie)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 18:02:57 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:56:46PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:
> I have specs for fPIE or fPIC w/ propolice. They build gcc/glibc fine and are
> a good example of how to modify the gcc specs file to change/add default
> behaviour of gcc. I have problems with hgcc.sh though. At the bottom of /
> tools/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/specs there is the "link_command"
> specs. The last line has a couple *'s in the string, which causes problems
> with sed/regex. This wasn't a problem when hgcc just had propolice. I need to
> search and replace lines, or partial lines, in 3.3.2/specs; and that file has
> every imaginable special charecter in it, except "double quotes". Using \ in
> sed doesn't allow $link_command_string to expand. So unless there is another
> way, the best thing I can think of is converting hgcc.sh to perl. Perl is
> flexable enough to get around regex limitations, and can do everything
> internaly that hgcc.sh would do externaly (grep,sed,tr,head). But perl is a
> pretty odd dependency considering hgcc.sh is just a frontend for an sed
> function.

Does LFS in some way require perl prior to building the miniperl? IIRC,
glibc's tests need it, but that's not an absolute necessity. Also, if
hgcc.sh is converted to perl, will the miniperl have the capability to
handle it?

Xposting to lfs-chat in case someone there knows how to get around the
regex.

Here's the whole story:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2004-February/041816.html

--
Archaic

The IRS has become morally corrupted by the enormous power which we in
Congress have unwisely entrusted to it. Too often it acts like a Gestapo
preying upon defenseless citizens.

- Senator Edward V. Long