QLFS project announcement

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 23 06:36:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 07:05:29AM -0600, J. Scott Edwards wrote:

> I'm sorry I didn't follow this at all.  What will be used for LFS-5.2?

The toolchain work that is going on in testing and unstable can (with
some slight modification) be used in the 5.x branch, which will give us
a 5.2 release, eventually. Just because LFS-6 uses NPTL and 2.6 doesn't
mean we can't share a lot of the procedures used in it and transfer that
to LFS-5. This may very well be the last hurrah for the 5.x branch,
though, as the 2.6 kernel is coming along quite rapidly and soon will
become the recommended kernel for new production systems. Until that
happens, HLFS will follow the 5.x branch due to the fact that it is
aimed not at the desktop system, but the server system.

> Would it be a good idea to try to build HLFS without any of the security
> patches and then if that works add the security patches one at a time
> until I find out what is causing the failure?

The problem with that is figuring out which patches must be used with
other patches. Otherwise, you add a patch and things break and you
mistakenly accuse that patch of being the culprit. Robert should be able
to shed more light on that.

http://linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/hlfs/downloads/cvs/hlfs-book-cvs-html-2004-06-07/

--
Archaic

The real point of audits is to instill fear, not to extract revenue; the
IRS aims at winning through intimidation and (thereby) getting maximum
voluntary compliance

- Paul Strassel, former IRS Headquarters Agent Wall St. Journal 1980