Firewalling 90% complete & tested, questions about writing tone

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Apr 29 11:04:12 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 17:43, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> Not intending to be too smug, but perl doesn't belong on a real
> firewall.  You made the right choice the first time.

Not intending to be too experienced, but are you attempting to filter
and manage your system activity logs with tcl or bash?  Perl was
practically designed for system administration functions.  It's also a
lot easier to deal with parsing lists in perl than it is in bash, which
is why I was considering it.  I didn't want to use it because it would
merely introduce another dependency (regardless of whether or not perl
is sure to be installed already) to the init scripts, as well as more
subshells that would just slow things down.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org