chap6 creating directories

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 17 22:21:10 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 11:49:17AM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:

> This is related to trying to keep the installation without fragmentation. I
> wouldn't expect LFS to adopt every method to do that, such as the added
> patches for coreutils, zlib, ncurses, etc.

Of course not, and I'm not advocating they bend for each of our
changes.

> I can suggest it to lfs-dev but I wouldn't want their decision to
> have any influence on the hlfs book for something like this. I think
> it teaches better habits; one install() command instead of a
> touch+chmod.

It's reasonable enough to do this. In fact, if you dug around the
archives long enough, you might find that it was due to the *-utils
packages being separate at that time and the install command amay not
have been available. I'm not sure, that seems a reasonable assumption.
Likewise, it seems reasonable, if presented to lfs-dev, that they
would accept the change. Not because of HLFS, but on it's own merit.

--
Archaic

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficient...The greatest dangers to
liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but
without understanding."

- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis