chap6 creating directories

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 17 08:49:17 PDT 2004

On April 17, 2004 06:36 am, Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:48:30PM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:
> > Anyone have opinions about using install(1) (/usr/bin/install) instead of
> > mkdir and chmod for creating directories. For example:
>
> I would prefer it technically, however I would like to keep as much
> with the LFS book as possible to keep the number of questions down.
> Perhaps you should post to lfs-dev and see if they would be willing to
> change.

This is related to trying to keep the installation without fragmentation. I
wouldn't expect LFS to adopt every method to do that, such as the added
patches for coreutils, zlib, ncurses, etc. I can suggest it to lfs-dev but I
wouldn't want their decision to have any influence on the hlfs book for
something like this. I think it teaches better habits; one install() command
instead of a touch+chmod.