How do i build the toolchain whithout ssp from a host with ssp?

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 15 13:58:53 PDT 2004

On April 15, 2004 09:35 am, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to build a new system for my old 486/pentium
> computers, with only 32 Mb RAM and small harddrives
> using LFS 5.1 but replacing glibc with uClibc and perhaps
> busybox.

uclibc should have support for propolice. Anyway, the surest way to build
without it would be to do 'gcc -v' and edit the spec file. Go down about 1
page and find the line below cc1, notice the {} curly braces and %, and
remove the definitions for ssp. On an i386 you should be left with something
like:
*cc1:
%(cc1_cpu) %{profile:-p}

After do 'gcc -dumpspecs > /path/to/gcc/specs' to restore propolice. Using
-fno-stack-protector should work, but not everything respects cflags (yet).
Gentoo has been making a gcc wrapper to force cflags to be respected, but
thats another time and place. I have a feeling uclibc supports being built
with propolice, but doesn't have ssp functions in libc.so (yet), which would
screw up a build like you're doing.