book

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 13 04:46:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 01:09:29AM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Do we want to maintain the ash compliance for bootscripts?

I'd say yes, but with a qualifier. If the person writing the scripts
doesn't know what is bash specific and what isn't, then they should
just write it for bash and make sure that the shabang is /bin/bash.
Later, if someone wants to convert it, and it doesn't cause any loss
of functionality, they should feel free to do so. However, this should
be seen as a perk and not a necessity. Either way, we shouldn't use
/bin/sh if we are coding for bash.

--
Archaic

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed,
and are right... The United States has never developed an aristocracy
really disinterested or an intelligentsia really intelligent. Its
history is simply a record of vacillations between two gangs of frauds.

- H. L. Mencken