[OT] - question about sys-internals

Reinhard bookreader at gmx.com
Sun Apr 11 01:03:03 PDT 2004

Hello,

I know, this message is not in the right list, but hopefully sent to the right
audience.

I don't need support, I solved (or avoided ?) the error already.
I'm looking for someone who can explain to me, what happened around the error.

I was experimenting with Makefiles and shellscripts to create a job, that
builds a lfs-box.
I had some strange errors, one of these was:
make: stat [some file] input/output errors

Sometimes it seemed that the shell became unusable, so I started a new one,
but the error occurred randomly (to me).
Now I realized, that some errors where shown at console like this:
RPC: can't bind to reserved port (13)

I looked at services and there port 13 is related to time. So I thought - may
be an error with ntp?
But from the rpc-prefix I guessed, that the error could be related to nfs.

And that was the right guess.
I found out, that the files/directories where world-readable/world-accessible,
but neither the userid, nor the groupid where known at the host, that mounted
the nfs-share.
Now I changed the userid/groupid and the error did not appear again.

- Was my guess right and the "input/output"-error comes from nfs?
- What is that confusion about port 13?

I would very appreciate it, if somebody could give me some background
information on the above behaviour.

Kind regards

Reinhard