more doodling

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 7 16:34:41 PDT 2004

Goal

Hardened Linux From Scratch is a security oriented documentation and source
code project. It is our ambition to redefine security as we know it, and be
the model others can compare themselves towards. We do not cull our system
because of copyright issues. Other security based projects, namely Debian and
OpenBSD, attempt to purify their systems based on copyright, while this has
nothing to do with security. These copyright issues have been addressed in
this way to keep it legal for distribution in binary form. HLFS packages are
only available in source form, and therefore any packages and patches can be
mixed, for the benefit of security. This may include patented algorithms, and
non-free opensource code. We will use what works best and not limit ourselves
for political issues. This is an educational project, and hence we are not
concerned with the legalities of distributing in binary. Packages which do
not meet the security requirements of the system, namely XFree86 or Haskell,
will simply not be supported until they're fixed first. We will not reduce
our security to satisfy the requests of the users. Any HLFS developed
technology will be ported to BSD, Minix, and others, whereever possible. We
don't want to be the only ones using specific technologies. We want it to be
robust enough that it can be tested on the widest range of systems possible,
and to benefit the opensource community at large. We will not push forward
releases if there are any unresolved bugs, exploitable or otherwise. While
this policy may not be compatible with commercial interests, HLFS is made by
hackers for hackers.