Blowfish support in crypt() (glibc) ?

Michael Wu flamingice at NOSPAMsourmilk.net
Tue Apr 6 06:54:25 PDT 2004

Manolis Tzanidakis wrote:

> Hello all,
> I think this might be interesting (from a security point of view :) :
> passwords hashed using the blowfish algorithm, as in OpenBSD.
> Openwall has it & (as I've read on some ml threads) suse does too.
>
> urls:
> http://www.openwall.com/crypt (for the libc patch)
> http://www.thkukuk.de/pam/pam_unix2 (for a blowfish-compat pam
> module).
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to some time later & I'll post the
> results on this ML. If someone else has done it already I' d like to
> see some feedback.

Tried it, except I used pam_unix2 with libxcrypt instead of patching my
libc. Had problems w/ libxcrypt conflicting w/ the system libcrypt,
contacted the author of the library, and he released 2.x because of my
problem. :)

I think you'll be much better off using libxcrypt. The files @
http://www.openwall.com/crypt are very old (last release was in 2002).

It works pretty well. Just replace pam_unix with pam_unix2+libxcrypt and
it should work.