Suitability (of Java)

Don Smith dss-lfs at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 09:35:28 PST 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Do you have any references to any recent benchmarks on the speed
> comparison?
>
> Especially with JIT, the performance of C++ and Java code is comparable,
> especially when the new programs are loaded in an already existing JVM.
> And the productivity is higher (less bugs).

Try these. Using JDK 1.3.1 (admittedly old) on my 200Mhz x86 system
(with a loop of only 100,000,000 instead of 1G) I get 16 seconds for the
C++ code and 36 seconds for Java (after the JVM is loaded).

Can someone try this with the latest JDK to see if this still holds?
JIT would probably solve this problem. (I have to use the older JDK
because that's what my main customer is using.)