Report for latest propolice patch.

ashes cendres at videotron.ca
Wed Dec 31 08:21:03 PST 2003

Partially because IBM has added support for Gentoo's propolice glibc
functions, I'm adding Gentoo's hardened-gcc script to the propolice hint.
Should be ready today/tommorrow. I want it to be understood this isn't
strictly Gentoo technology; the propolice in libc implementation was first
done by OpenBSD, which was where Gentoo got the idea. The new hcc script from
gentoo depends on Python, so it really should be rewritten so we don't have
to install Python and read the Gentoo banner everytime we run `hcc`. It's
GNU, so as far as I know I can't disable their banner or license
advertisement. But their not so old scripts work fine without Python. The hcc
application will allow us to turn on/off propolice and et_dyn with a short
simple command.