Software Packaging (was Re: Scope?)

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Dec 30 09:47:20 PST 2003

2003-12-30T11:50:38 Archaic:
> All the above and then some. Wanna help? :)

We'll see. I'll lurk, and lurch in if I think I've got something
real to contribute:-).

One contribution I'd make up front: a big ball of goo you can't get
a grip on is difficult to robustly secure, and maintain. A
significant aspect of security maintenance is aggressive patching to
track security bugfixes.

I think HLFS will be a lot more credible if it's based on an ALFS
that uses very strong software packaging --- rpm is a current
technology leader, although it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Building systems LFS-style, tar xzf / ./configure / make / make
install, is wonderfully educational, and the detail documentation
LFS maintains on precisely how to work out a dependancy-satisfied
toolchain is priceless for distro developers. But for various jobs,
including automated building of vast numbers of machines, automated
upgrading from release to release, and (here's HLFS's hook)
automated patch deployment, a strong software packaging tool is
really important.

-Bennett