Hardened Secure Linux From Scratch book chapter proposals

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Dec 30 08:44:47 PST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Archaic wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:13:21AM -0500, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > I think we should stay away from saying its not for everyone unless we
> > > specifically state why a particular person wouldn't need it. Instead, we
> > > should focus on why someone would want to read it.
> >
> > Yes, but there will be some potential readers that should *not* be using
> > the book. E.g. ones with insufficient basics (no bash, "what's a CPU?",
> > etc.) or they live in an environment where the security is dictated by
> > corporate policy (already behind a firewall with proxies, local policy
> > restricts them from modifying their system in certain ways the reduce
> > "auditability" - big brother wants to watch -, etc.).
>
> Bill you ust stated exactly what I said. Note the "unless we state why a
> particular person wouldn't need it". I will incorporate the whynots into
> the text.

I saw that, but the emphasis towrds the positive in your post made me
think that the "should not read" issue might go un-addressed for some
time and I could see immediately a class of "users" that wouldn't. So I
thought I would just stick that reply in there to highlight that there
is a well-known group already ID'd.

Sorry if it was an irritation.

> BTW, CC'd hlfs-dev. Everyone please follow up there. :)

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet