Preface

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 08:18:37 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:56:41AM -0500, ashes wrote:
> More to chew on...

Chomp, chomp. :)

> Forward:
> Having thousands of computer system security articles available to
> read on the web, this book is designed to consolidate some of the most
> important information on several of the common security issues
> facing/concerning/ plaguing both users and administrators. Named
> after, and based on, Linux From Scratch, HLFS is a book that provides
> the reader with a foundation of understanding in respect to security,
> that can be used as a base for further study and design. Part of the
> process in teaching this will be to build a hardened system
> step-by-step.

Just a few less words (sed s/to read//)

Having thousands of computer system security articles available on the
web, this book is designed to consolidate some of the most important
information on several of the common security issues facing both users
and administrators today. Named after, and based on, Linux From Scratch,
HLFS is a book that provides the reader with a foundation of
understanding in respect to security, that can be used as a base for
further study and design. Part of the process in teaching this will be
to build a hardened system step-by-step.

> Audience:
> This book describes in detail problems with programming languages,
> privilege access control for software applications and users,
> cryptography, and what to do with this technology. The advantages to
> reading this book would be in having an understanding of security from
> the lowest level, and being able to use all that information in
> constructing an entire system.

I want to expand on the "who" and "who not" leaving in the details
you've noted. However, emphasis needs to be placed on the fact that
programming knowledge is _not_ required. I will write something up
tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

--
Archaic

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one
tenth part.

- Benjamin Franklin