Hardened Secure Linux From Scratch book chapter proposals

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 07:19:09 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:13:21AM -0500, Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> "reduce the noise level" carries some implications that I'm not sure you
> intend. Maybe one of the suggested phrasings along the lines of
> "consolidates some of the most important..." would be better?
<..>
> "facing admins" implies and intended audience that is not what I'm
> reading into the posts I've seen. Maybe "facing all users and
> administrators"?
<..>
> s/foundational/foundation of/  # Less "pompous", easier for non-English

I concur with the above three suggestions. Will make changes and wait
for more feedback.

> > I think we should stay away from saying its not for everyone unless we
> > specifically state why a particular person wouldn't need it. Instead, we
> > should focus on why someone would want to read it.
>
> Yes, but there will be some potential readers that should *not* be using
> the book. E.g. ones with insufficient basics (no bash, "what's a CPU?",
> etc.) or they live in an environment where the security is dictated by
> corporate policy (already behind a firewall with proxies, local policy
> restricts them from modifying their system in certain ways the reduce
> "auditability" - big brother wants to watch -, etc.).

Bill you ust stated exactly what I said. Note the "unless we state why a
particular person wouldn't need it". I will incorporate the whynots into
the text.

BTW, CC'd hlfs-dev. Everyone please follow up there. :)

--
Archaic

You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it
will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it
would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered

- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.