HLFS missing

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 8 15:40:06 PST 2010

On Monday 08 November 2010 06:02:21 Dok Sander wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  What has happened to the HLFS book? The last time I checked, there were
> entries for such packages as: Owl Linux, GCC Stack Smashing Protection and
> AppArmor(IIRC)
>
> Now the whole book seems to be the same as LFS. I haven't done a
> comprehensive read-through but with a quick glance, there doesn't seem to
> be any reference to HLFS anymore.

The LFS-6.7 book was copied over to trunk/. Not much was changed yet. The old
book was out of date and not maintained, so I didn't think much was lost by
deleting it.

I made new gcc-4.5.1 patches for ssp, fortify_source, and -fpie. I should add
them to the book by Wednesday, maybe earlier. Posix capabilities (libcap2)
should be in by the weekend. I just received a quad core system today, so my
test builds will go faster.

I plan to rewrite the pages describing the toolchain hardening, putting them
on a single page, and an additional page for network hardening later. And I
plan to read the book from the beginning to see if anything should be added.

The credits to other projects or people will be (re)added along with their
work.

There should be regular progress each week now. I'm installing HLFS on my
server, workstation and laptop, so anything that doesn't work right will be
fixed quickly.

> My sources are: svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/HLFS/trunk/BOOK/ and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/view/development
>
> Also the "Read online" and snapshots -links do not work(The actual links:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/view/unstable/ and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/downloads/unstable/ respectively)

Thanks for telling me. I just fixed those links.

robert