[blfs-support] The dreaded "Cannot open Xorg.o.log"

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 30 13:22:37 PST 2013

On 11/30/2013 02:44 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 30.11.2013 20:34, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> On 11/30/2013 12:23 PM, Armin K. wrote:
>>> XServer executable *needs* to be setuid root (It's important that's also
>>> owned by root:root).
>> I discovered that quite by accident when I ran <chown root:root
>> /usr/bin/Xorg>. I had thought previously that Xorg needed to be only
>> suid. I learned something.
>>
>> Now "X" starts as root, but not as me. I get:
>>
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> [ 700.680] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7
>>> (Permission denied)
> All what you mentioned should be fixed when you run chown root:root
> /usr/bin/Xorg and chmod 4755 /usr/bin/Xorg. Please note that if you run
> chown on a setuid executable, it loses its setuid bit, so it might be
> necessarry to set it again.
Oh, Armin, I had completely forgotten about that! Xorg thanks you. root
thanks you. And I thank you. I can't believe how much I have forgotten
in three years. Everything works well now--even the red, green and blue
turning gears. :)

Now I'm ready to tackle the radeon proprietary driver.

Thanks again.

Dan