[blfs-support] The dreaded "Cannot open Xorg.o.log"

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 30 11:34:13 PST 2013

On 11/30/2013 12:23 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 30.11.2013 18:22, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> For the first time in my LFS life I got this message.  Just so people
>> can roll their eyes, but also to provide info, I use the Package Users
>> system.  This error, I thought, came from faulty permissions, <ls -alQ>
>> gives:
>>
>>> -rwsr-sr-x  1 10118 10118 12630128 Nov 29 15:27 "Xorg"
> XServer executable *needs* to be setuid root (It's important that's also
> owned by root:root).
I discovered that quite by accident when I ran <chown root:root
/usr/bin/Xorg>. I had thought previously that Xorg needed to be only
suid. I learned something.

Now "X" starts as root, but not as me. I get:

> Fatal server error:
> [ 700.680] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7
> (Permission denied)

This occurs, as I said, when I'm logged in as me and not root. I do not
know what generates the "xf86OpenConsole" messages. Again it appears to
be permissions, but I don't know where to look unless, perhaps, I need
to change the ownership and/or permissions of the xf86 drivers that I
installed--evdev, synaptics, fbdev and vesa.

I added myself to the tty group to get as far as the above error
message. As me, the Xorg server couldn't access /dev/tty until I did.

> Also, links can't be setuid. Links have same permissions as the thing
> they are symlink to.
I thought that the symlink question might have been a crazy one when I
asked it. At the time, my finding was cycling through all "possible and
obvious" permission options.

Thanks again, Armin.

Dan