[blfs-support] Xorg and dbus

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 30 06:48:57 PST 2013

There are many packages in BLFS whose purpose and functions I don't
really understand.  Even when I try to learn about them the descriptions
are cryptic and I still have questions.  Dbus is one of those.

I've installed it because it was a dependency for either dhcpcd or
wpa_supplicant.  But now that I have it, I want to make it "earn its
keep."  I know that it allows one application to "talk" to another one,
but that's the extent of my knowledge.

While looking for something else, I discovered a configure switch in
xorg-server--"--enable-config-dbus."  I'm thinking about re-building the
server with this enabled.  What gain or advantage is there? Would
someone please give me an example?  One thing that I thought of was it
might be useful when I build network manager.  If my thinking is
correct, then network manager in graphics mode, xorg, my window manager
and wpa_supplicant could all "talk back and forth" to one another.  Am I
on the right track or is this over-simplified? Or is it irrelevant?  :)

Thanks,
Dan