[blfs-support] Proprietary Radeon Driver

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 27 10:05:54 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:17:53AM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
> I'm working my way throught the Xorg installation and getting close to
> installing the drivers.  Xorg hasn't quite caught up yet with my chip
> which is Radeon HD 8610G, and I'm going to use the proprietary driver
> from ATI.  I'm asking for advice on when to install it.  It's a
> pre-compiled binary and installs with a script.  Should I install it
> when I install drivers for Xorg, or should I wait until I'm finished
> with Xorg and install it before I start Xorg for the first time?

 Ubuntu thinks this is a "Richland" ?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

 Phoronix (yeah, I know, treat their advice with more than a pinch
of salt!) thinks the Richland is supported in version 7.2.0 of
xf86-video-ati.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQzMDU

 If that is true, the xorg radeon wiki at
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ might help (as well as the
gentoo wiki for firmware, of course).

ĸen