[blfs-support] Proprietary Radeon Driver

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Nov 27 09:17:53 PST 2013

I'm working my way throught the Xorg installation and getting close to
installing the drivers.  Xorg hasn't quite caught up yet with my chip
which is Radeon HD 8610G, and I'm going to use the proprietary driver
from ATI.  I'm asking for advice on when to install it.  It's a
pre-compiled binary and installs with a script.  Should I install it
when I install drivers for Xorg, or should I wait until I'm finished
with Xorg and install it before I start Xorg for the first time?

This driver comes with a QT based configuration utility.  As I look at
the BLFS book, I see Qt-4.85 and Qt-5.1.1.  In what circumstances are
both of these necessary?  I'm thinking of building 5.1.1 because of its
recentness.  I'm not that familiar with Qt--in fact I'm quite ignorant
of it--and want to install what is necessary for my system to work.

Thanks,
Dan